Condensed History of the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, CSA

On the morning of the 18th November, 1864, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry, along with Col. Gober's command and Lt. Col. Ogden force, marched on Liberty, Mississippi and attacked the Union forces of B. General Lee. After a severe fought battle with the enemy of 1,200 men and artillery, the men under Scott's command, less than 300, had to fall back due in part to the shortage of ammunition. In the attack, Scott's Cavalry had taken nearly half the town but could not hold. Losses to the Confederates were 3 men killed and 10 wounded.

On the night of the 19th November, the advance guard of the 1st Louisiana Cavalry, at Keller's Cross-Roads, charged the enemy, a regiment at least, and stampeded the rear guard, capturing a lieutenant, 4 privates, and a wagon with about 100 negoes. Still not having a resupply of ammunition, the remaining ammunition was collected and distributed to 75 hand picked men and under the command of Major Campbell, pursued the enemy to within 8 miles of Baton Rouge.

On December 5, 1864, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry fought a engagement at Moody's Ferry, Mississippi.

Reported that the regiment was in Mobile, Alabama during the latter part of December, 1864 and left there and and went to Summit, Mississippi.

Colonel John S. Scott, on February 10, 1865, is reported at his home out from Bayou Sara, under arrest for furloughing without authority. Reported that he furloughed his command and they were to reassemble in Summit, Mississippi. After his arrest, command went to Major S. W. Campbell.

On March 15, 1865, Col. Scott, back in command of Brigade, reported to Lt. General Forrest that 90 of his men had deserted and that Major Campbell was in pursuit. Major Campbell was successful in overtaking the men and returned with them to duty.

In early April, 1865, Col. John S. Scott was relieved of his command and relieved of active duty.

In the latter part of March and April, 1865, the 1st La. Cavalry was in the vicinity of Columsbia, Mississippi and had fought several engagements in the areas around there.

On May 5, 1865, Lt. General Richard Taylor, CSA, surrendered his Army, which included the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, to Major General E.R.S. Canby, USA, near Citronelle, Alabama. Final parole was at
Gainesville, Alabama on May 12, 1865.

Several of the Troopers of the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, that were with the regiment at Citronelle, Alabama, refused to surrender and left, headed back to Louisiana. Statements made that they never surrendered during the campaigns of the 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment and were not going to start now.

The 1st Louisiana Cavalry Regiment, CSA was among the best fighting cavalry units on either side and by their actions and bravery earned their place in history and the hearts of their countrymen.

Thomas C. Cardwell


Previous Page