Unknown soldier of Company F, 9th La. Infantry Regiment. Photo taken after end of war, possibly he was an Officer. No name on photo, just that photo made in Temple, Texas. Anyone knowing the identity of this Soldier, please advise.

From the Collection of Steve Muckala, Newalla, Oklahoma

Capt. Richard J. Hancock

Richard J. Hancock was born in Limestone Co., Alabama in 1838 and moved to Bossier Parish, La. in 1858 with his father, Nathaniel Hancock and family.
Enlisted in the Bossier Volunteers, at Bellevue, La. on June 11, 1861. Unit sworn into Confederate Service in front of the St. Charles Hotel, in New Orleans, La., by Governor Thomas Overton Moore. Richard Hancock was elected 3rd Lt. on June 11, 1861 and to 1st Lt. April 17, 1862.
He served in Company D, Bossier Volunteers, 9th Louisiana Infantry Regiment and was later promoted to the command of the company.
Richard Hancock was wounded in action three separate times during his service to the Confederacy; First-2nd Manasas August 28, 1862, wound to neck. Second-Gettysburg July 2, 1863, wound to hip. Third-Winchester September 19, 1864, wound to chest.

On the same day that he was wounded at Gettysburg, he was promoted to the rank of Captain.
When wounded in Winchester, he was taken prisoner by the Union forces and upon his recovery from his wounds, he escaped his captors and returned to his unit. While on furlough, he married the daughter of the woman who had treated his wounds and housed him after Gettysburg, Thomasia Harris of Charlottesville, Va., on November 22, 1864.
Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered before Capt. Hancock could make it back to his unit and the Captain settled in Virginia.
Captain Hancock becaame a world famous horse breeder, among many other ventures and raised his family on his plantation "Ellerslie" Charlottesville, Albermarle County, Virginia. He and his wife had nine children, five boys and four girls. Capt. Hancock made sure that all his children received the best education possible and went on the be very successful persons.
Captain Hancock lived out the rest of his life at Ellerslie but never forgot his strong ties with the 9th Louisiana Infantry Regiment and the Confederacy. He was awarded the "Southern Cross of Honor" by the United Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, which named the Bossier City, La. Chapter in his honor.

(Courtesy Clay Hancock, GGGrandaughter, Paris, Kentucky)

Corporal Thomas Benton Reed

Thomas Benton Reed was born August 17, 1838 in Blount County, Alabama and died after 1905 in Union County, Arkansas.
Thomas B. Reed enlisted in Company A, 9th Louisiana Infantry Regiment on February 27, 1862 in Vernan, La. at the age of 27.
Thomas, along with his two brothers, Nathan Green Reed and Patrick Scott Reed, all served in the 9th La. His two brothers being in Company K.
On August 30, 1862, at the Battle of 2nd Manassas, Patrick Scott Reed was killed in action and buried where he fell by his two brothers.
On May 4, 1863, at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Nathan Green Reed was killed in action and buried where he fell by his brother Thomas.
On June 2, 1864, at the Battle of Hanover Junction, Thomas was wounded in action.
After the war, Thomas, along with his family, lived out his life in Union County, Arkansas.

(Courtesy of Daniel Reed, GGGrandson)

Previous Page


Capt. Martin Gordon Williams

Martin Gorgon Williams was born in 1838 in Washington Parish, La. The son of William Walter Williams.
At the outbreak of the War of Northern Aggression, Martin was one of the first to answer the call. He along with most of his uncles and cousins left Washington Parish under the command of Hardy Richardson. They enlisted in Covington, La. and received their training at Camp Moore in St. Tammany Parish. The men of Richardson's Company were sworn into Confederate service and were Company I, Washington Rifles, 9th Louisiana Infantry.
The 9th La. Infantry was sent to the Eastern Theatre and were under the command of Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. In the Battle of Second Manassas, Capt. Hardy Richardson of Company I, was wounded and Martin Williams was given command of the company.
Capt. Williams participated in all the battles with the 9th La. Infantry until November 7, 1863, at the Battle of Rappahnock were he and most of the 9th La. were captured.
Martin, being an Officer, was sent to POW prison at Johnson's Island, Ohio where he remained for 18 months.
After the surrender of the Confederate Armies, Capt. Williams was released from prison but due to the river surrounding the prison was frozen, he had to remain 3 additional months before leaving for home.
Everyone had returned to Washington Parish at the close of the war but Martin, so he was given up as killed in action. But in the fall of 1865, the Willliams family had returned from church service at the old Union Church, when Morris Williams, Martin's brother, saw a figure coming up the lane and knew beyond a doubt that it was his long lost brother, Martin.
After the war, Martin married Helen Pounds, bouth the old family farm and started his family which grew to eleven children. In his later life, he became a great logger and also owned a mercantile store and was the first Postmaster for Lee's Creek community. Martin also formed the Lee's Creek Baptist Church.
(Courtesy Robeert Burgess, GGGrandson)

Private James Jackson Coleman

James Jackson Coleman was born in 1829 in Alabama, the eldest son of William Coleman and Sarah Ogden Coleman. His siblings were Nancy Coleman, Millie Coleman, Sirena A. Coleman, William A. Coleman, Greenberry Coleman, Sarah Ardilla Coleman, Amanda Coleman, John H. Coleman, all born in Alabama and Eugenia Coleman, born in Mississippi.
James J. Coleman married Margaret Jane Trussell on December 5, 1851 in Bienville Parish, La. and had four children to the union-Lorenzo G. Coleman, Frances (Fannie) J. Coleman, Thomas Jefferson Coleman and William A. Coleman.
James J. Coleman enlisted in Co. H, Louisiana Brush Valley Guards, 9th Louisiana Infantry Regiment, CSA, at the age of 33years. He died on July 7, 1862 in Lynchburg, Virginia after contracting Typhoid Fever.
Records indicate that Pvt. Coleman died at Christian's Factory, a tobacco factory converted into a hospital. He was buried in the Old City Cemetery in Lynchburg, Va. on the 28th of July, 1862. Buried in Grave No. 3, 4th Line of Lot 162. Buried in wooden coffin measuring 6'4" by 19" and burial paid for by the Confederate Government.
(Courtesy of James R. Coleman, Lake Providence, Louisiana, GGGrandson, and Chrissy Coleman Chapman,GGGranddaughter)

Thomas Benton Reed, Co. A, 9th La. Personal Papers, His Own Account